Thank you Tampico Beverages for sponsoring this post. All opinions are my own.
Even though April is officially Earth Day, I'm always on the lookout for ways to reduce our waste and to repurpose things we have. Recycling is great, but reusing is even better.
This outdoor handwashing station is great for camping, the backyard, or even just park parties.
It's simple to put together, and it's a great way to repurpose your empty Tampico jugs!
- 1 empty Tampico jug
- 1 golf tee (If you don't have a golfer to ask, we went to a local driving range and asked if we could have one. Easy peasy.)
- 1 bar of soap (Make sure it's an environmentally friendly, biodegradable option)
- 1 stocking (If you don't have one lying around, check out the dollar store!)
- 1 grommeted dish towel
- Length of rope/cord for hanging the finished project.
- Lighter (or blow torch if you're brave!)
- Rinse bottle out well, so it isn't sticky water for handwashing!
- Heat the nail with the lighter and carefully poke a hole with the hot nail. Place the hole near the bottom, on the corner of the jug opposite the handle, so it will be at the bottom when it's hanging. Make the hole small enough that you have to force the golf tee in, and it forms a good seal.
- Place the bar of soap in the stocking, and tie it to the handle of the jug. Keeping it in a lightweight stocking will allow it to be used through the material, but also keeps it from falling on the ground and getting dirty.
- We have a collection of these grommeted dishtowels in our camping supplies; Jamie just sticks a grommet in the corner when I retire a towel from the kitchen. They're handy to keep them up off the ground, and hang wherever you need them. You can use a carabiner or a shower curtain ring to make it possible to hang from anything.
- The hard part is done! Find a branch to hang it from, and be sure it's at a height that everyone will be able to reach. For us, we usually put it off to the edge of camp, so the water runoff doesn't end up in camp, but we have a place to wash up before dinner or when the dirtiness-level just gets too high to bear. 😉
What are some of the little things your family does to show how you #LoveYourColorfulWorld?
Bring a little color into your lives with Tampico.