As of some time between Saturday and Sunday last weekend, Max has been home with us for exactly 25% of his life. He's been home for one month on Saturday (the 16th) and turned 4 months old on Sunday (the 17th)
A month! Already!
Looking back on the interminable days in the NICU… the endless commute, the painfully slow evenings, the sleepless nights at home without Max… waiting, watching, wondering what our future held.
That time already seems insignificant in the scheme of Max's short life… a minor hurdle on a road to an amazing life. I can't believe that for every 3 days he was in the NICU, he's already been home for one! As those 13 weeks become more and more insignificant, the days thereafter, the memories and life that we share, becomes what matters. Not how it all started.
Since he's been home, he has…
- Grown from 7 lbs 1 oz to at *least* 8 lbs 8 oz… Jamie's convinced he's gained a bunch of weight since last week!
- Grown from 19″ long to 20.5″ long
- Now eats 3 fl. oz every 3 hours, instead of 65 mL (2 oz and a bit)
- Is almost exclusively on 22 calorie Neosure, having graduated from the Pregestimil he was on in the hospital (saving Mommy and Daddy about $40 a WEEK!)
- Slept through a feeding last week… the 11:30 pm one to be specific… I guess sleeping and growing was more important at the time! (It hasn't happened again, though)
- ROLLED OVER back to front! We figure it was about 2% effort and 98% gravity, but it was a surprise when Jamie went in the other morning to wake him up and found his on his belly in his crib!
- Been sleeping awesome in his crib! Since about a week after he came home, he goes down after his 11:30 feeding and gets up after his 8:30… we each take a middle of the night feed, and he goes right back down like a champ about 95% of the time!
- Become a rather animated sleeper… it's not uncommon to find him rotated 180 degrees in his crib most mornings… pictures to follow, I promise!
- Totally captured all of our hearts.
Max had his ECG (heart imaging study) yesterday… I'm am thrilled to announce that there is no evidence of the heart murmur that had been there at birth! Woot! We knew it had been closing up/healing on its own, but we got official word now that it's gone! Now that we've got that OK, we can go ahead and schdeule his hernia surgeries… the umbilical and 2 groin ones. All 3 will be taken care of at the same time, we just need to figure out when. It'll require an overnight stay in the hospital in Oakland, so we want to find a time when at least one of us will be able to stay with him… I think we're eyeballing mid-October as the goal, but I don't know. I'll keep you posted as always!