List the foods that are always left in the fridge when everything else has been eaten.
This actually happens more than I care to admit. We've never managed to get on a really good grocery shopping schedule, so we tend to find the fridge empty quite often. The good thing is, we never seem to run out of certain things!
My mom works for a food brokerage, and has since I was in high school. (The food brokerage is the grocery store what a travel agent is to an airline. Basically) So the company she works for specializes in gourmet and organic foods, so we often end up with samples of new products they represent, or the samples for the lines they end up not carrying. Several of the things on this list are because we have what amounts to an endless supply, thanks to my mom.
- Mustard The only mustard we ever buy (the only one *I* use) is French's Yellow, but we always have half a dozen (seriously) or more bottles in various states of useage. Beer & Brat Mustard, Jalapeno, Dill, Wasabi, Dijon, Stone Ground… the specifics rotate through as Jamie goes through phases, but there's always LOTS of mustard available.
- Ketchup It's one of those things, that if we ran out, the world would screech to a halt. Just ask Max. I buy the 2 packs of big bottles at Costco, so when the second bottle goes in the fridge from the pantry, I buy a new 2-pack the next time I go to the warehouse store.
- Cream(er) I take cream and sugar in my coffee, or just that flavored Coffeemate stuff. There's generally always one or the other in the fridge. (It's a little scary how long that fake creamer lasts!)
- Pedialyte We bought a bottle when Max was tiny and got sick, and now I'm afraid not to have it on hand if that happens again. (Confession: It isn't actually Pedialyte brand. It's generic Target Up & Up or whatever it is brand. It doesn't expire until 2013 or something, so I'm hoping to ignore it until then)
- Maraschino Cherries When I was a kid, a bright red maraschino cherry turned a plain cup of 7Up into a Shirley Temple, the most special beverage my mind could imagine at the time. Now, my occasional Appletini just isn't right without a cherry, so we pretty much always have them on hand.
- Mystery Leftovers We're terrible about leftovers. Best of intentions and all that, but often we forget about leftovers long enough that they get scary in the back of the fridge, and it's a battle of wills to see who eventually dumps them out.
- Champagne Yeah, baby! We never know when we'll have a reason for a spontaneous celebration or brunch, so we always have a bottle of bubbly in the fridge, ready just in case! We got five or six bottles as wedding gifts, so we've been working our way through those ones, drinking them sometimes, but always having one waiting on ice!
ETA: My old friend, Karen, who blogs over at TimeCrafted, is writing along with me again this week! Go leave her a little love (and some mustard! LOL) too!