This post contains affiliate links.
I've written this Galaxy's Edge tips post about half a dozen times now, in Facebook DMs from friends and on Instagram and Facebook comment threads from people looking for tips before they make the trek to Black Spire Outpost on the far away planet of Batuu.
I'm going to share a couple of my favorite tips with you, to help you make the most of your visit to this distant land.
It's different than the rest of Disneyland. It takes immersion to a whole new level, and the changes are noticable and immediate. There's no music playing in the background, just the sounds of the village going about its business.
– Talk to the cast members! They have all spent time creating their own back stories, so be sure to engage with them! Ask where they're from, what brought them to Batuu, that sort of thing. They'll also stay in character if you ask logistics questions, so if you ask them what time the fireworks are happening, you'll probably get an answer like “I don't know what fireworks are, but there are some beautiful explosions in the sky every night at 9:30!”
– Make a reservation for Oga's. It's the only spot you can get a real cocktail inside Disneyland (except for Club 33) but even if you don't drink, the decor is incredible and worth a visit. We have liked most of the drinks we've ordered, but none of cared for the Tauntaun Fizz with it's “poison” foam that makes your lips tingle.
– Blue milk is delicious, but you can totally share one for the family. Green milk is gross. Skip it.
– Droid Depot is a great value for what you get! The experience of building is adorable and fun, the robot is so fun to play with, and it will interact with the world around it if you leave it turned on while you explore. You may or may not need a reservation, depending on when you visit, so be sure to check the Disneyland app for updates!
– It's worth waiting in line for Smuggler's Run, even better if, once you go through the line, you do single rider so you can try all of the positions. (Engineer, gunner, pilot) It's a very different experience depending on where you're sitting, so I recommend trying them all. I loved being the Engingeer on my first time through, and Max and Jamie piloted, and watching the glee on their faces was incredible, but I'm glad that I had a chance to pilot it myself as well. (Try to grab the pilot seat on the right if you want to be in charge of hyperdrive!)
– Speaking of Smuggler's Run… when you get into the holding room after being handed your group ticket, grab your photo at the dejarik table (holochess) right away. You'll only be in that room for a moment, so don't miss this excellent photo op!
– Look up. The detail is extraordinary, everywhere you go! Be sure to check out the collections overhead in the stores, and high up on the buildings. (There's only one hidden Mickey on Batuu… click here to get a spoiler)
– “Bright Suns” is the welcome greeting, “Til the Spire” is goodbye. Find more of the language of Black Spire Outpost here.
– The Play Disney app integration is incredible, with interactive elements everywhere you look, but also beware! All that bluetooth beacon pinging and location sharing is a killer on your device's battery. Make sure you bring a backup battery for on-the-go charging. Even better, grab one of my laser-engraved English to Aurebesh translators! There's Aurebesh writing to be translated everywhere, and a translator will keep antsy kids busy without using all your phone battery.
A bonus Disney planning tip:
And one bonus tip that applies for all Disney trips, not just Galaxy's Edge! Book your vacation through Get Away Today! It's our favorite site to book our Disney trips, they always have amazing deals and their customer service can't be beat. Find their current Disneyland packages here!
More about Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge
- 10 Things I Can't Wait to Eat or Drink at Galaxy's Edge
- The Language of Batuu
- Kitbashing for Newbies: Turn your phone into a datapad
- Star Wars 101: A Primer for Parents
Leave a Reply