I'm not gonna lie. I was pretty skeptical when I came across this crazy simple recipe for cauliflower soup.
But then I remembered how much I loved Smitten Kitchen's crazy simple tomato sauce and decided to give this a try.
And I'm so glad I did.
It's fresh and delicious, and vegan and gluten-free and totally friendly for every diet I can think of! WOOT!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion (6 ounces), sliced thin
- 1 head very fresh cauliflower, about 1-1/2 pounds
- Salt, to taste
- 5 1/2 cups hot water, divided
- Extra virgin olive oil, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Warm the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed pan. Sweat the onion in the olive oil over low heat without letting it brown for 15 minutes.
- Add the cauliflower, salt to taste, and 1/2 cup water. Raise the heat slightly, cover the pot tightly and stew the cauliflower for 15 to 18 minutes, or until tender. Then add another 4 1/2 cups hot water, bring to a low simmer and cook an additional 20 minutes uncovered.
- Working in batches, purée the soup in a blender to a very smooth, creamy consistency. Let the soup stand for 20 minutes. In this time it will thicken slightly.
- Thin the soup with 1/2 cup hot water. Reheat the soup. Serve hot, drizzled with a thin stream of extra-virgin olive oil and freshly ground black pepper.