There's more to Southern California than Disneyland and traffic! A short drive from the most Magical Place on Earth, you'll find Burbank, which is a worthy destination all on its own! Be sure to connect with Visit Burbank before your trip, so they can help you get the most out of your time in this special area. They've got tons of resources to help you plan.
10 Reasons to Visit Burbank
- Fly into Burbank Airport: The airport in Burbank, known as both Burbank/Hollywood and Bob Hope Airport, is like flying right into a movie. It's a small, well designed place to land, and if you've ever dreamed of disembarking right onto the tarmac like some old timey Hollywood starlet, this is your chance. It's well-serviced by major airlines, but is also so easy to navigate. It's easily my favorite airport to fly into.
- Sleep in Hollywood history: The historic Safari Inn, located right on Olive Way in Burbank, may feel familiar for a number of reasons. Like the airport, it feels like a scene from a movie, and it literally is. The long list of TV shows and movies that have filmed covers everything you could think of!
- Attend a TV show taping: Depending on when you visit, you may be able to snag tickets to be in a live studio audience. It's free to attend, you just need to claim tickets and follow the rules that they have.
- Porto's Bakery: I have to admit; I've yet to experience Porto's famous food for myself, but I've heard so much about this institution that it's definitely on my must-try list!
- WB Studio Tour: I love a good behind-the-scenes experience, so the Warner Brothers studio tour is a must-see for me! Big Bang Theory sets, Central Perk and Harry Potter are just some of the things you'll see on this excellent tour, which is available both guided and self-guided.
- The Perky Nerd: When I happened across this woman-owned comic book shop located in Burbank, I knew that I'd have to stop in for a cold brew coffee and a browse. I always love supporting small business, but a woman who is out there pursuing her love of all things geeky? Count me in!
- Urban Press Winery: Billed as “The most exciting winery in America,” I can't wait to check out the Urban Press tasting room and food from their on-site restaurant, Carnoso. They have a goat cheese and honey pizza that's kind of calling my name, even from here.
- The SmokeHouse Another famous filming location from so many of your favorite movies! The SmokeHouse has long been frequented by movie and television luminaries, including Kevin Costner, Jennifer Aniston, Robert Redford and Andy Garcia. George Clooney is such a fan that he named his production company “Smokehouse Pictures” in its honor. For generations, The SmokeHouse has appeared in numerous films and TV series, including La La Land, Argo, The Office, and Desperate Housewives..
- Magnolia Park vintage shopping: I love discovering cute little downtown areas like this; Magnolia Park is known for its vintage clothing stores.If you are a fan of old style movies and want some 1950s apparel of your own then you are sure to find it here. As well as shopping there are also events held here throughout the year such as live music nights.
- Famous filming locations: Due to its convenient location, Burbank is an incredibly popular locale for filming movies and television. You're bound to run into familiar scenes everywhere you go! This handy map has a bunch of locations:
I'm going to Burbank!
I'm actually headed to Burbank this week for #TheGeeklyRetreat, an entertainment blogger's event, where we'll be checking out just some of the things I've suggested here, and so much more! Be sure to follow the hashtag on Instagram and Twitter, and follow me on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter to get all the inside peeks at what we'll be up to!
Besides Moi… also make sure you hit Unique Vintage! It’s my favorite shop and the fun sunglasses are my favorite gift to give!
I worked on a movie that filmed in the Urban Press Winery for a few days and dear god, never ate or drank a thing there and now I am sorry about that.