Once Jamie started talking about paint colors, I started to get a better feeling about the size of the trailer. I had been able to better visualize the finished product once we had walls up, but when he started fitting the ceiling is where I started to get really excited about the whole project. (Finally!)
The ceiling, which curves around to become the front wall/headboard, is 1/8″ 5’x’5′ birch plywood. We didn’t get prefinished for this part, because we knew we wanted to paint it, as a chance to bring in some color to the design.
I chose a pretty sky blue for it, neutral enough to go with lots of things, but also with a nod to the teal and turquoise that was so popular during the 1950s of our inspiration.
The ceiling is 5’x5′ plywood, which put a seam partway up, near the top of the curve. (You can see it in the center of the photo below) Rather than try to hide it with spackle or anything, we trimmed it with a piece of contrasting wood; it’s a scrap of cherry Jamie had lying around, and it’s the same material he had to trim around the ceiling fan as well.
The ventilation fan is important for a number of reasons; for me, number one is that these two dudes I love so very much can get a little *ahem* ripe. But also, once the doors are installed, the trailer is airtight, and we could easily run out of air and that’s no good. We chose one that would allow us to have good air circulation, and that was highly rated when we looked on Amazon. It may be overkill considering the size of the trailer, but air circulation is something I’d rather have too much of than not enough!
Next post: Exterior Skin & Wood Sealant